Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A quick catching up.

Hey everyone!
Workshop is now in its third month, and its too bad i havent started blogging till just now. If you are interested in finding out about everything that has happened in the past three months, you can look at Morriah's blog, then come back to me. In short, my first three months of Workshop have been incredible. I have never been intensely challenged on a daily basis at any point in my life as I am now.
I am currently living in a Kvutza of 19 people on the beautiful, or not so beautiful Kibbutz Ein Dor. I often find myself thinking about what it is that makes Workshop special, and my conclusion is, although i havent experienced any other gap years, is that on Workshop you are surrounded by people who have a commitment to take part in a process of growth and transformation. Part of this process requires me, in this case, to learn how to deal with issues of group dynamics and decission making/how to live communaly.(seeing as we live in a kvutza of 19, and share everything.) This process is not as easy as one thinks, but in the end, or after three months, it has been more than worth it. Every conflict results in a major step forward, and benefits all who are envolved.
Next, Workshop presents incredible opportunities to rediscover, and question things that are important to you to an extent that is truly undescribeable. Things such as Zionism, and Jewish identity come up in peulot, sichot and seminars regularly, and the texts presented lead to major questioning and critical thinking. Much much much more on those sichot and peulot will be blogged to you quite often.
A third pivitol part of the Workshop process is the general growth of individuls. By taking classes such as Hadracha, reading and having peulot on philosophers such as Martin Bubber and Erich Fromm, i have been forced to take a step back and rethink, and question things such as how I interact with people, and what my true values are. Throughout the course of Hadracha, we examine texts which make us become better individuals and leaders, all which ends up having a large part in the role of the developement of the Kvutza.
Every day presents challenges, wheater it be with the kvutza, discussions on Judaism or Israel, or on our lives in general, each challenge is embraced.
This is the end of my explanation of workshop, I did my best! I will be setting up a link, if i can figure it out, that would be a seperate section on this blog to write, and show things that we do in our free time. get pumped!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great to hear your response to all you're doing and seeing. What a fantastic experience. We'll stay tuned!

Barb and Art