Thursday, December 10, 2009

Essay Revised: Give me feedback!

In the midst of Workshop, I have decided to re-examine my plans for college. Currently, I am differed from Goucher and College of the Atlantic. I was leaning towards COA, becuase I am passionate about enviornmental studies. However, during workshop I have realized how important it is to me that my ideals of Judaism, education and involvement in Habonim Dror is continued for the next few years. At COA, I would not have the chance to do all these things. I have realized that Kalamazoo College is a place where I can carry out these ideals that mean so much to me...So, here is my essay I have been working on. By no means is the finished, but I would like so feed back.


Just a few miles down the road from where I grew up is the city of Detroit. The public school system is in a severe deficit, a situation that harshly affects students, and their learning environment. This is just one example of how those with a lower economic status are disadvantaged from a young age. As a result a culture of individualism is created, which is detrimental to the cohesiveness of our society. We put too much emphasis on “I,” and not enough on “we.” We are too caught up in satisfying our own personal desires, while others’ basic needs are not met. While its true that Capitalistic ideals lead to wonderful achievements, in our society we value individual achievements over interpersonal relationships. As a result, people of low socio-economic status are left behind, making it difficult to operate as a society.
I am dedicated to improving our society. I aspire to exemplify values such as community, respect, and the equality of human worth on a daily basis. Not to say that our current society fails to do this, but if everyone made a conscious effort to carry out these values, the “we,” would naturally begin to replace the “I.” Capitalistic ideals create a world where we judge people based on the type of car they drive, and how they can serve us. According to the Jewish thinker Emmanuel Levinas, “When I do not acknowledge the other as another and as worthy of love I am unconsciously and unintentionally legitimizing him being exploited, and oppressed” (translated from Hebrew). Even if I don’t actively exploit someone, if I do not view him or her as a whole person, I am contributing to his or her exploitation. I demand that we stop viewing each other as a sum of possessions and abilities, and begin forming relationships based on character, and mutual respect. I aspire daily to realize this vision.
I currently live in a kvutza. Literally, this word means “group” in Hebrew; however, it has taken on an entirely new meaning in my life. Kvutza is the closest structure to the aforementioned values; I live communally with 18 other individuals, sharing everything from money to toothpaste to feelings. We make decisions through group meetings, where every individual presents their feelings and experiences regarding the topic at hand. One such meaning occurred, when we became concerned that our excessive use of vulgar language contradicted our collective value of the equal respect of all people. Previously, we had discussed how our word choice reflected the values in which we believed. By using vulgar language, we were creating gender stereotypes, and degrading individuals. When we revisited the topic, we re-examined our values, and the ways in which our word choices reflected our values. We reached a consensus that our vocabulary did not properly represent our values, and we decided to implement a change. We decided to remove particularly offensive words from our vocabulary. When individuals break this rule, others around must make it their responsibility to address the mistake.
My experiences in my kvutza have given me a unique outlook on interpersonal relationships. Through the exploration of collective issues regarding money, feelings, behavior and many other things, I have developed strong relationships with the members of my kvutza, I have learned their story, and they have learned mine. On a daily basis, values such as community, respect and equality are practiced, creating an intimate atmosphere. These experiences have helped me develop my vision for society, and I look forward sharing my visions with my peers at Kalamazoo College.



This is not finished, but give me feedback! erezzzzzzzzzz@gmail.com

1 comment:

Avi said...

Kvutzaקבוצה is from the Hebrew word A group,
Lekabetz לקבץ is to bring things together.
Kibutz קיבוץis also from the same root, "togetherness"
box / cell משבצת
all the kvutza is in one box.
The Kibutz failed in Israel, why? many members wanted to get out of this box and check their own success base on their own ability, another reason was economic failer, when the Kibutz could not make enough money they could not survive, the main problem in those environments that the people that work extra hard are not being recognized and the lazy ones benefiting from the hard work of there friends, which make many members of the group upset.
United States with the capitalist system became the place that people from all over the world want to come to, the freedom for individuals in the USA anable them to develop amazing things like this internet and this Blog all developed in capitalistic society!
If you work hard you succeed, if you are a lazy bones you will have a problem!
I do understand your points on making sure to look at every person not base on how much he has, but look how good he is and how many good things he is doing to help this world become a better place to leave in.